I don’t know how I reached this page but I just did. This page was for women and it contains 50 Reasons NOT to Date Designers. The fact that offended me the most about this page is that the reasons given here are absolutely true, and they make sense. So what to do… be the geek who has money but no life??? No! We need both, we deserve both…
First I’m copying the reasons which are full of smiles and satires, then I’ll try to describe a few tips which make sure that designers are as social as anybody.
Did I mention you should have a look at this post if you need a laugh?
I thought of making a few remarks over each of these reasons but then I changed my mind. I just copied the good ones here and after them, we’ll get a little serious.
- They drink and eat all kinds of weird shit just because they like the packaging.
- You wake up in the middle of the night hearing them screaming “When is the deadline?”
- They can’t change a light bulb or without making a sketch.
- They read comics.
- They are always sleepy because they work 24/7.
- When arguing, you will be nicknamed like the OSX spinning wheel (not affectionately).
- They rather study the paisley pattern on your outfit than listen to what you have to say.
- You never know if it is really an original or a copy.
- They take pictures almost daily and all are cut in weird shapes.
- They will fill your house with magazines and whatever is out there that has drawings.
- They idolize people who nobody knows and speak of them as if they were his colleagues.
- They ask your opinion about everything but they do whatever they want.
- You cannot decorate the house without consulting them.
- Do not know how to dress without consulting the Pantone book.
- They want to save the world only with a poster.
- You will spend the day brainstorming.
- They see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix.
- They use iPhone for everything, because everyone has one.
- They can’t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design.
- They know more positions than the Kamasutra.
- They listen to music you have never heard of.
- You will never understand their gifts.
- They rather pay for a font than for a special birthday gift.
- They see ordinary objects and laugh.
- The orgasm they remember is when they heard that Adobe was acquiring Macromedia.
A simple solution to avoid all problems is that make everyone in your family professional designers. It’s just KO right there,,, but since this is not the perfect world, we can’t do everything according to our likes, we’ll have to learn to live according to the traditions.
Now let’s get to know some of the very basic habits which if we start to make a part of our lives, the people around us would be a lot happier. When the others are happy with you, you are happy with your self.
Be the man of the house: when they say that you can’t change light bulb without a graph, they actually hate the fact that you don’t do routine stuff every guy is supposed to do.
Speak to everybody in their language: I say this lots of times that when we have our own terminology and when we start to use it on other people, they feel stupid and/or being mocked. Even if you want abuse somebody, abuse in simple English, for instance if somebody didn’t do something you told him to, say: “you’re good for nothing” don’t say “bloody IE!!”
Make sleeping routine: this is a target I cannot achieve in my life but hey! I’m not telling you to follow me. Wives and parents both don’t like it when we do not get up with everybody else.
Don’t do brainstorming with your girl friend: girls sometimes don’t say it out loud but if you look closely, you can notice their body language telling you to shut up. Asking their opinion which doesn’t require much of their time is one thing, but brainstorming is not a good idea.
Giving presents: When you give anybody a present, never ever give an IT related thing, there’s too much risk involved, they may not like it, they may expect something better, like an invisibility cloak since you are a techie, you can get one. It’s been invented in Japan already.
Now tell me, how is knowing more positions than Kamasutra…… I think I should avoid this subject…
Other things which were seem to annoy, like your iPhone or reading comics, don’t even try to give up on that. I think that makes us cute.. maybe it’s just me but that’s what I think. You should also keep looking for inspiration wherever you find it, that’s professionalism, that’s your love for what you do BUT don’t share it with your wife or GF, they don’t give a damn.