WordPress security plugins for protection against spam, theft and hacking attempts.
Security and protection, these two words haunt the minds of web masters the world over.
There are all kinds of threats hanging around in the cyber space waiting for one chance when you lose your attention and they attack your site. I’m sure all web masters have at least once got their web data lost to an attack. I did.
And apart from that, there’s another problem, stealing! People copy from good sites and republish the data from their name… very bad, totally immoral and illegal.
But fear not, WordPress has all the solutions. Just have a look at these plugins, they are sure to give you a peace of mind.
WordPress Security Plugins
6Scan Security is one of the most comprehensive automatic security and protection solution for your WordPress site. Just say no to hackers! This security scanner goes beyond the conventional rule-based protection of routine WordPress security plugins, employing active penetration testing algorithms to locate security vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities are then automatically fixed before any hacker can exploit them.
Wordfence Security is an absolutely free enterprise class protection and security plugin that includes a strong firewall, antivirus scanning, malicious URL scanning and realtime traffic including crawlers. Wordfence is the one and only WordPress security plugin which can only verify but also repair your core, themes and plugin files, even if you do not have backups.
BulletProof Security secures your WordPress website against RFI, XSS, CRLF, Base64, Code Injection and SQL Injection hacking attempts. It also includes one-click .htaccess WordPress security protection. It can also repair most of your .PHP functional files.
Allows admins to create user groups and set access restrictions for any post, page or section.
Limits rate of login attempts, including by way of cookies, for each IP.
Fast, one click website security protection. Protects your website from ALL XSS and SQL Injection hacking attempts.
Protect your downloads from non-members and leechers.
Secure your WordPress Installation with small functions.
Scans your WordPress installation for security vulnerabilities.
Interactive CAPTCHA is the free unique anti-spam solution for your site. Filling the captcha feels like a game, rather than a bot test.
Extends the feed at copyright, a digital fingerprint, IP of feed-reader, comments, related posts! Search for content theft and many more features.
A collection of numerous security fixes and modifications to help protect a standard WordPress installation.
- Removes the meta “Generator” tag
- Removes login error messages
- Changes the urls for backend functions including login, admin, and more
- Limits admin access to specified IP or range of IP addresses
- Bans troublesome bots and other hosts
- Completely turns off the ability to login for a given time period (away mode)
- Prevents brute force attacks by banning hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts
- Displays a random version number to non administrative users anywhere version is used (often attached to plugin resources such as scripts and style sheets)
- Removes theme, plugin, and core update notifications from users who do not have permission to update them (useful on multisite installations)
- Removes Windows Live Write header information
- Removes RSD header information
- Strengthens .htaccess settings
- Enforces strong passwords for all accounts of a configurable minimum role
- Basic Intrusion detection (based on 404 logging)
- Renames “admin” account
- Security checker
- Allows for changing the WordPress table prefix where necessary
- Forces SSL for admin pages (on supporting servers)
- Changes wp-content path
“Hotlinking” is when some other site links an image (or any resource) stored on your site into a page of its own. Now the other site is Hotlinking (also known as inlinking) from your site. If you are being hotlinked, your server usage goes high, and the visitors on the other site may not even know that it’s your content they are seeing.
The WordPress Automatic Image Hotlink Protection plugin is a single step script designed to stop others from stealing your images.
Two More Great HotLinking Protection Plugins are: